I loved this book. Cavemen can run down the antelope.
Monday, August 17, 2009
The following are commonly believed, but not true.
- Cavemen co-existed with dinosaurs.
- Caveman not talk good.
- Cavemen beat women over the head with clubs and drag them home by the hair.
- Cavemen are grumpy.
- Cavemen are ugly.
- Cavemen are dirty and unkempt.
- Cave life is poverty.
- Cavemen are technologically backward.
- Art, culture, and good manners were invented by civilized people.
- Compare with the civilized, cavemen are ignorant.
- Cavemen's lives are warlike and back-stabbing.
- Cavemen are brutes.
- Cavemen don't live very long.
- Cave life is constant toil.
- Cavemen are stupid.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
- Cavemen have no bosses. Bosses (pharaohs, kings, chiefs, and middle managers) are the invention of civilization.
- Cavemen take it easy. Their civilized brethren are resigned to at least eight hours of work for five out of every seven days.
- Cavemen treat women fairly. They have far more egalitarian societies than the civilized.
- Cavemen eat varied, healthful, whole-food diets.
- Cavemen know a freedom of which the civilized can only dream.
- Cavemen have no debt. The civilized have mortgages.
- Nearly every caveman can live a life rich aesthetic life, full of artistry and creativity. The civilized have a class of people they call 'starving artists'.
- Cavemen never have to carve exercise into their schedule.
- Cavemen have extensive networks of friends and family. The civilized get the 'friends and family' network.
- Cavemen are heirs to the only sustainable society that humans have ever created.
- Societies of cavemen have no poverty.
- Cavemen never have to send their children to daycare.
- Cavemen wake up and sleep whenever and wherever they want. The civilized have alarm clocks.
- Cavemen don't have as many imaginary problems (that deadline at work, worried about filing taxes too late, etc.) even if they have more real ones (hunger, danger, cold).
- Cavemen get to interact with loved ones face-to-face where they can touch them and read the subtle expressions of faces and bodies. The civilized ask their cell phones if they can "hear me now".
- Cavemen see more sunrises, sunsets, and stars.
- Cavemen never have to go to school, stand in line, sit in rows, obey the orders of strangers, or respond to bells.
- Cavemen don't get as hung up about sex. The civilized pay for therapy, pornography, or Viagra.
- Cavemen have less guilt. They have not invented sin.
- Cavemen are guaranteed almost daily adventure. The civilized save up for a few days vacation on a cruise ship where the highlight is . . . shuffleboard? shopping? all you can eat buffet?